Managing Director, NEXUS-NY Cleantech Accelerator
NextCorps, Inc. (Rochester, NY) is partnering with global innovation firm, SecondMuse, to launch the NEXUS-NY Cleantech Accelerator program, an early stage accelerator funded by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), aimed at speeding the path of tech commercialization in the clean energy sector.
The Managing Director will build and lead a team to launch the accelerator, including the development and delivery of startup support and programming, and the growth and management of a global resource network. This position is an employee of NextCorps and will work closely with program partner, SecondMuse.
The Managing Director will be responsible for initial program design activities of this new initiative as well as all ongoing day-to-day operations of the program, including:
- Set and oversee strategic direction of accelerator program
- Developing and managing the budget
- Managing program staff at NextCorps and the project team at SecondMuse
- Developing corporate / industry partner relationships
- Leading all outreach and recruiting efforts ranging from a global call to direct outreach
- Leading the selection process for each annual cohort of selected teams
- Managing the development of mentor and investor networks
- Setting up and managing an advisory board and selection/judging committees
- Developing and overseeing implementation of program’s educational curriculum
- Approving and managing fund disbursement to startup teams
- Reporting as required to funders
- Founder or member of early-stage technology startup
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and experience running complex programs/teams
- A solid understanding of commercialization, startup company formation, SBIR/STTR and other grant programs, and early-stage angel and venture capital investing
- Track record of building and managing stakeholder relationships, including private and public sectors, academia, inventors, entrepreneurs, investors, etc.
- Engaging public speaker and communicator
- Highest ethical standards
- Familiarity with Lean Startup methodology for creating scalable startup companies
- Experience in cleantech industry sectors
- Experience with Venture Capital types of investments
- Existing relationships in the cleantech and investor sectors
- 10+ years of work experience
- High Integrity
- Entrepreneurial Mindset
- Bachelor’s degree required
NextCorps, Inc. (Rochester, NY) is partnering with Global innovation firm, SecondMuse, to launch the NEXUS-NY Cleantech Accelerator program, an early stage “commercialization” accelerator funded by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), aimed at speeding the path of tech commercialization in the clean energy sector. This new initiative is a follow on and expansion of the successful NYSERDA proof-of-concept center program, which ran from 2012-2018.
The goal of the accelerator is to catalyze the transition of cutting-edge clean energy innovations from the laboratory to the real world, by exploring product/market fit, feasibility of business models, and prototype development. The lean-startup, cohort-based program will provide coaching, connections, and capital to enable the development and validation of promising technologies that are, or will become, the platform for startup companies in New York State. Program participants will be sourced directly from labs across New York State and nationally, as well as through a global call for applicants.
NextCorps, Inc. is a 19-person non-profit, based in Rochester, NY, that helps entrepreneurs launch and grow successful startups and established companies grow their revenues and profitability. NextCorps has designed and runs a number of different programs including early-stage technology commercialization programs, business incubators and accelerators, training programs, and project-based consulting services.
SecondMuse focuses on building inclusive economies that benefit people and protect the environment. Over the last 10 years, 2M has designed and managed innovation programs in 90+ countries that tackle challenges in manufacturing to energy to capital to gender equity in tech and more.
Reports to: President, NextCorps, Inc.
Supervises: Direct reports at NextCorps (expected initially to be one FTE direct report at NextCorps); also manages SecondMuse relationship and their required program deliverables
Coordinates with: Other NextCorps personnel, including Marketing Director, Managing Director, Finance & Administration, and other Program Directors; SecondMuse personnel
Location: Preference is for Managing Director to be located at NextCorps, Inc., 260 E. Main St., Suite 6000, Rochester, NY 14604 (based in NYC with travel to Rochester will be considered)
Work Schedule: Full-time
NextCorps reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this position description in any way the company desires. This position description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This position description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains “at-will.”
Qualified employees who, because of a physical or mental impairment that significantly limits a major life activity, require a reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions of this position should notify their manager.
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or marital status.
Applications will be accepted through April 30, 2020. To apply for this position please submit your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org.